Rinsing the mouth with oil (oil sucking) is derived from Ayurveda medicine and has been used for many generations a proven way to improve health. The condition of the mouth affects the condition of the whole organism. It has been shown that many serious diseases start with adverse changes in the oral cavity. For example, people struggling with periodontal disease or gum disease are at risk of ischemic heart disease, heart attack or stroke. Periodontal disease is also associated with the loss of bone density and the severity of insulin resistance.In addition, it has been proven that the diseases of the teeth and mouth are related to arthritis, affect the development of lung and bronchial infections, digestive system (including ulcers) and nervous system. Also, joint and back pain, kidney and liver problems can be associated with germs in the mouth. They are also dangerous for pregnant women - the risk of premature delivery is many times greater in pregnant women with poor dental health than in other women expecting a child.
In alternative medicine, the solution to these problems is to rinse the mouth with oil . The effect of this method is to stay in the body of heavy metals and other harmful compounds, and thus - better condition of the body. The relationship of people who used this method shows that it helps in many health problems, such as: sinusitis, hemorrhoids , constipation, eczema , chronic fatigue syndrome , insomnia , migraine or back pain. It should be noted, however, that rinsing the mouth with oil will not work as a medicine. With this method, you can remove germs from the mouth - when you rinse the mouth, the oil extracts bacteria and other micro-organisms from between the teeth and gum tissues, which are then absorbed by it. As a consequence, the immune system is relieved, which improves overall health. This process can only alleviate health problems, but not all. However, a certain effect of mouth-washing with oil is whiter teeth, healthier gums, and a fresher breath.
How to rinse my mouth with oil?
The choice of oil is an individual matter, depending on the taste preferences (for beginners, it is recommended to add a few droplets of citrus juice to overcome the specific taste of the oil). It is important that the type chosen by us is primarily unrefined and organic. We can use linseed, rapeseed, coconut, sunflower or other. Two or three teaspoons are poured into the mouth and rinsed for about 20 minutes. It should be remembered that the oil has bactericidal properties. It collects all the microbes and fungi from our teeth and gums, so after thorough rinsing you can not swallow the liquid. After spitting out the substance, we also rinse the mouth with water. Repeat the operation 2-3 times a day, for any period of time chosen - until the symptoms you have resisted disappear (example in the case of back pain) or after obtaining satisfactory results (whiter teeth).
Rinsing the mouth with oil - how to do it properly?
1. Take 2-3 teaspoons (1 teaspoon = 5 ml) of the selected vegetable oil to your lips. Three teaspoons (ie 1 tablespoon) is too much for many people, which is why usually 2 teaspoons is enough. Remember that there must still be room for splitting saliva in the mouth.
Tip for beginners - rinsing the mouth with oil can be done on an empty stomach or after eating, but in the latter case it is better to wait at least an hour or two after a meal. You do not need to wait an hour after drinking the water before you rinse your mouth with oil. It is advisable to drink water just before rinsing, because thanks to this the body will be properly hydrated and will be able to produce saliva, which is necessary to rinse the mouth.
2. Close your mouth and rinse your teeth, gums and all corners of your mouth with oil. As saliva accumulates in your mouth, you may find that there is not enough space. Then spit oil out and take another teaspoon or spit out only part and rinse it. How long should the lips rinse with oil ? The entire procedure should take 15-20 minutes. During this time, you can do other activities, such as reading a newspaper, taking a shower.
3. If you start choking while you rinse your mouth, spit oil out. Then drink the water and start from the beginning. Add a few drops of cinnamon or mint oil to the oil - it will be more pleasant in taste.
4. After about 20 minutes, spit oil out. After rinsing the mouth, the oil will become white, because thousands of tiny air bubbles lead to the mixing of oil and saliva. This applies only to oils that have a very light color or are colorless. If you use dark yellow oil (for example corn) or dark green (for example olive oil) to rinse, you will not get a white liquid, but yellow or green, no matter how long you rinse your mouth with oil.
Rinsing the mouth with oil is also intended for pregnant women, lactating women and children, but those from 5 years of age. For the youngest, the whole procedure takes 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Rinse the mouth with water.
6. If mucus accumulates on the back of the throat during rinsing, clean the throat after spitting out the oil.
7. The procedure should be carried out prophylactic-ally at least once a day, preferably in the morning - before breakfast. However, if you are struggling with oral infections or health problems, it is recommended to repeat the treatment 2-3 times a day.
8. Choking the oil is not a substitute for brushing teeth, so do not forget about brushing them every day.
Do not do this
Do not rinse your throat with oil! Remember that this method consists in rinsing only the teeth, gums and recesses of the mouth with oil. During its performance, make sure that the oil does not get into the throat, as this may lead to swallowing, which is not beneficial. The oil contains bacteria and toxins that should certainly not be in the stomach. However, do not worry - swallowing a little oil should not do any more damage. A greater problem is the gag reflex, which may occur after the oil has been swallowed. It forces you to spit out all the oil and even to vomit.
How to increase the benefits of mouthwash with oil?
To increase the benefits of mouthwash with oil, follow the principles of the overall treatment program:
- use oil also for preparing meals;
- take care of a healthy diet - it should consist of, among others from fresh (preferably organic) fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains;
- drink 1 glass of water (350 ml) for every 12 kg of body weight per day;
- clean your teeth daily and clean them with dental floss;
- avoid using any drugs that are not absolutely necessary, tobacco and alcohol.
Rinsing the mouth with oil - which oil to choose?
You can choose coconut, rapeseed, sunflower, linseed or sesame oil to rinse your lips. However, the first is most often recommended. Some suggest that only cold pressed or organic oils should be selected for rinsing, and refined ones should be dispensed with. However, the former do not have better properties - when it comes to this therapy - than refined oils, so both can be used for sucking.